Sunday, January 09, 2011

Christmas catch-up


Side note: I'm writing this so I can look back and remember what we did for Christmas 2010. Some of the details probably won't interest you. So, this post may seem long and boring, but the pictures are fun to look at!

We had a great Christmas this year. As I mentioned before, we spent time with my family in Dallas the weekend before Christmas. Then we did a little yo-yo-ing back and forth between Austin and back to DFW after that. It was worth it, and the boys did great with the traveling and going house to house.

We were home in Austin for the week of Christmas, just the four of us, which was a nice, laid back way to celebrate Christmas. This year we decided to get each other gifts, so Eli and Jed got to pick out gifts to give to each other and to John and I instead of just receiving all the gifts. I think it worked out well. I liked seeing what they chose for others. For example, Eli chose some water bottles for John (for his P90X workouts). I thought that was thoughtful of him. We did our little traditions: setting out the milk and cookies for Santa (this year it was a brownie we had leftover from our dinner co-op b/c I forgot to make cookies), the reading of The Night Before Christmas and the birth of Jesus from the bible, and coffee cake and breakfast casserole, too. It doesn't feel like Christmas without those! This year, Eli got a police pick-up truck from Santa, just like he asked, and Jed got a wooden train set from Santa.





A couple days after Christmas, it was back up to Ft. Worth to hang out with John's family. Everyone (all four siblings and families) were there together, which doesn't happen that often. It was good to see everyone as usual. Eli and Jed had fun playing with their cousins, Will and Alex (same age as Eli), who they don't get to see much since they live in Denver. Here's some pics of our time in FW:

























After a few days in FW, we were off to Dallas to see some good friends, Lane & Erin and Bcat & Amy, from college for the evening. However, Bcat was sick and couldn't go, which was a bummer since he lives in Denver and we don't get to see him and Amy much. We missed seeing you, Bcat!

Then, we hung out with my family a few days. Mammy took the boys to see a train exhibit that they had at Northpark mall. They had tons of miniature trains set up there with all kinds of things to look at. Jed loved it and could have stayed in there much longer than we did. He spotted a Thomas train in there right at his level and would say, "Thomas, yoo hoo, where are you?" every time the train went through the tunnel. So cute! John and Eli liked it okay, but they get overwhelmed when there are big crowds of people (and there were a lot of people packed into a small space in there), so they decided to walk around outside the exhibit while they waited for us. Plus, Eli and John aren't big fans of malls, which made them feel more overwhelmed, I think. Like father like son!
























For New Year's we went to Whitney and Reed's house (more friends from college), and Bubba and Anna met us there as well. They are all good friends who feel like family, so it's always a good time seeing them. Somehow, we stayed up until 2:30 am just chatting and having a good time, but when the kids woke up a little before 7:00 am, we remembered that we're not in our twenties anymore! It was a good time nonetheless! I got one picture of me and Whitney's boys. If you want to see more pictures of our time there, you can look on my Facebook profile. I couldn't figure out how to post them here.

No comments: