Friday, September 02, 2011

Eli starts Kindergarten!

We officially have a kindergartner! Eli was excited about going to school and was definitely ready. The first day was a little emotional for John and I since our boy was growing up and headed off to kindergarten, but we didn't let Eli know that. John and I teared up a little after we dropped him off, but we did okay after that! We've had a smooth transition all around, thankfully. Eli says he likes it and has met some friends, but we really don't get much information from him each day. Usually when we ask him questions about school, no matter if they are open-ended or specific, the answer we get is, "I forgot" or "I don't know". When I asked Eli why he forgets, he said, "My head gets so full of fun things we do all day that it pops and I forget everything". I guess that's a good thing! At least we know he's having fun!

As a matter of fact, Eli may be having a little too much fun. His teacher told me that "he's a boy's boy" and that he can get silly. She said she does have to give him warnings. Let's hope that behavior stops there! He had to sit out of centers that second day because he was being silly and using potty words. He still got a sticker for the day though. I think that in these first weeks of school, the teacher isn't letting anything slip by as far as behavior goes, understandably so. I just didn't think Eli would be the silly kid. I thought he would take longer to warm up. At least he's feeling comfortable there. We are keeping an eye on his behavior chart, though!

We put Eli in the dual language class where the kids are learning Spanish each day. I'm really excited to see how Eli does with that. I think it's going to be very beneficial to him now and in the future. Hopefully, he won't get bored in school since he has the extra challenge of learning Spanish, and the language will stick with him as he gets older. Already, he will randomly spout out a word or phrase in Spanish, which is fun to hear. The other day he was excited because he said "Hola" to one of the girls who only speaks Spanish and she said "Hola" back. Before we know it, he'll be fluent and we'll have a hard time figuring out what he's saying! Let's hope!





Showing off his Star Wars backpack


"Welcome to Sunset Valley Elementary" I love that he chose to wear his monster truck shirt on the first day!

Eli walked right in, sat at his seat, and started coloring

This was the "We survived the first day" picture that Jed took

And here are John and Eli riding bikes to school in the morning. I love it...and so do they!

1 comment:

Ben and Kate said...

Ya'll are cute! Miss ya'll Perks fam!