Thursday, April 20, 2006

Another Day in the Life of a Superstar



I tried to post this last night with a picture and lost it, so...Here's a recap:

So, Wednesday was a day for eating. Darby said Eli ate almost once an hour all morning and afternoon. It's good that he's eating so much, but what goes in must come out. When I got home from work, our friends Brad and Noelle (friends from church) brought us a lasagna. They're expecting their first baby as well. There's lots of babies going around right now...Pretty fun. I guess it's probably always been that way, but you notice it when you're a part of it. Anyway, thanks Brad and Noelle! Much appreciated.

After they left, our friends Josh and Jennifer (also transplants from the holyland...Waco) came by to see Eli. He's great about being sleepy for people. Josh is also tall (I think taller than me) and has a beard, so Eli kept giving him some awkward looks....Like he seemed to know him from somewhere but couldn't place his name.

Darby said last night that she likes how Eli smiles in his sleep. I think he's pretending to sleep, but he can't control his facial muscles well enough to pull it off. He comes by that sort of thing naturally. I used to do that in order to avoid going to church. Later I would stuff pillows in my bed and go hide somewhere so I could (A) make us late enough to miss church and (B) sneak up on my mom and scare her. I don't think I had a real aversion to the church (I remember mostly good things), but I know I always wanted to watch the Von Erichs wrestle the Fabulous Freebirds at 11:00. What's more spiritual than WCCW?

When Eli's REALLY asleep his whole body is limp and his breathing is regular (aside from this weird squeaking-jerk thing he does periodically). That's when I feel like we did our job. His hunger is satiated, he's clean and changed, and he feels safe and warm enough to relax completely. I hope someday he stuffs pillows in his bed and scares the crap out of Darby.

john

PS picture to follow...But I'm at work...Also, we get a visit from my parents today. It's surreal to watch your own parents hold your baby. Makes you think a lot. We're all excited.

1 comment:

perkoline said...

Late note on the lasagne, from Gramma Perk -- it was delicious! We got a taste of it at lunch today (Friday) before heading back to Fort Worth. If Brad & Noelle would make lasagne for me, it might be worth having another baby . . . But then, maybe not. I have mountains to hike, thanks.