

We had an eventful and fun Halloween! Halloween with kids is fun because of all the festivals and things and seeing all the kids dressed up in cute Halloween costumes. I'm not a fan of the scary, gory part of Halloween. Anyway, our festivities started last Saturday when we went to the Halloween Howl at the Austin Nature and Science Center. There are fun exhibits for the kids, like seeing a real owl and bat. John and Eli got to paddle boat there, I mean, they got to search for treasure on their pirate ship. Jed didn't get to go in the boat b/c he wouldn't wear the life vest, but I managed to get a picture of him wearing it. The boys also got to roast some marshmallows. I like Halloween Howl because there is no candy given out. The only thing we came home with were some real animal bones. Much cooler than candy in my opinion!
During the week, we (John) carved our pumpkin and made some Monster Mouths, which were apples cut to look like mouths with slivered almonds stuck in them for the teeth. Eli's pre-school had a Halloween Festival on Friday. They had a jumpy house and different games for the kids to do, and there was no candy once again. Thanks, school! The kids sang Halloween songs at the end of the festival. I've included some of those videos. Eli was singing, but with a straight face. He didn't want to smile or act like he was having fun. I don't know why he does that. My video work was not the best because my camera started running out of memory. Perfect timing again. Just look for Eli's pirate hat in the videos. He's toward the front on the right side.
And finally, on Halloween Sunday, we went to church in costume because we were planning on going trick-or-treating afterwards with friends from church who live near there. It was a short, casual service and all the kids wore costumes and did pumpkin activities there. John and I, however, were the only adults who were dressed up at church. It wasn't a big deal...kinda funny though. We weren't planning on dressing up until at the last minute, I had the idea that John could wear his old Baylor basketball uniform and I could wear some overalls that I had in college and dress up as a farmer. John was John of the past and I was Farmer John of the present. I thought it was clever!
Trick-or-treating was fun. We had quite a large crew with all the kids and parents! Eli was leading all the kids to each house while Jed was the last one in the pack. Jed waited until they all got their candy and cleared out of the way and then he would walk up to get his. Very patient! After we got to our house, we went to a few more houses to see our neighbors, and then we were done!



No comments:
Post a Comment