Friday, May 20, 2011

New additions to the Perkins Family Urban Farm

We got three new chickens from our friends, Heidi and Noah, a few days ago. It was a good deal because Heidi and Noah raised them from chicks (they got about 20 chicks at one time to be raised as broilers) and gave them to us when they were bigger and ready to be outside and with our other three chickens. The chick phase is not fun...really messy, loud, and smelly...in my opinion. Now, I think our new chickens are more like adolescents or young adults. I think they are called pullets b/c they are female and too young to lay eggs. You learned something new today, didn't you?

We got the new chickens because our other three are getting old and not producing many eggs these days. The pullets are still leery of going far from the coop, so it was hard to get a good picture of all three of them. They are going to be good looking chickens! I'm not sure what kind we got. Heidi, can you help me out here?

Also, we have yet to name them. We're thinking of going with our chicken food theme. The older three ladies are named Noodle, Pot Pie, and Cacciatore. Past names have been Dumplin, Marsala, and Nugget. Some names I thought of are: Taco, Buffalo, Vindaloo, Cordon Bleu, Nacho, Curry...so many possibilities!


3 comments:

Courtney said...

Don't forget Chicken Kiev!

Darby said...

John told me we got 2 mottled-javas and 1 barred rock from heidi, in case you were wondering.

thelifeofbrynn said...

I like Tettrazini, Parmesan, or Herb